VTS highly recommends all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel. Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, traveling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

If you do not have a passport, you can use an original or state certified copy of a Birth Certificate as listed below.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card (NOT applicable for international flights)
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Original or state certified copy of a Birth Certificate PLUS a government-issued photo ID*
  • If you’ve had a name change (for example, you changed your name once married) to where it doesn’t match your birth certificate, then you will need to also bring along some proof of the name change. This can be a marriage license (again, the original or a notarized copy is best) or if you’ve had a name change unrelated to marriage, your documents that prove the change.
  • Certificate of Naturalization PLUS a government-issued photo ID*
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card PLUS a government-issued photo ID*

*A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit

For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit


Veteran Parking

The Port of New Orleans provides free cruise terminal parking (up to 7 days) for disabled Veterans that meet certain requirements. The disabled Veteran must have at least a fifty percent service-connected disability and prove their status. Acceptable documentation can be a VA letter, DV license plate, or other documentation that shows the disabled Veterans percentage. If you are not able to provide the proper documentation upon arrival, the Port will not be able to offer you free parking. Refunds will not be issued if you are not able to show documentation to a parking attendant, PRIOR to parking your vehicle. Please note, free parking is only available to disabled Veterans and does not apply to families or spouses of the disabled Veteran. The boarding pass will need to show the name of the disabled Veteran AND the disabled Veteran must be present. If you have multiple cars but only one p