Military Family Appreciation Month is every month, as far as we’re concerned. There is a special kind of bravery that every military spouse and child cultivates, and for that hard-earned courage, we honor you all.
There are endless ways to show military families that they are appreciated. Do something more than a shout out this month–check out Operation Appreciation. It’s like the #icebucketchallenge, only less ice, more #ithankedavet. Also see our list of special discounts offered this month for veterans and their families.
3 Ways to Honor our Brave during Military Family Appreciation Month 2015
- Tell them.
- Show them.
- Post in Operation Appreciation.
This interactive social media campaign is an inspiring way to thank our service members. Show your appreciation for our veterans (and their families!) with an act of service, then post a photo or video to social media using the hashtags #ithankedavet and #yourturn.
Launched by the VFW in October, the tweets are already coming in! I love this one from a post in Wisconsin.
More about Operation Apreciation on the main VFW site.
Discounts and Specials for Military Family Appreciation Month 2015
Don’t forget to check with your favorite local restaurants and shops. Many of them likely offer special discounts this month.
- Armed Forces Vacation Club is offering a $50 discount on select resorts through Nov 28.
- Brides Across America, a non-profit, hosts a wedding gown giveaway twice a year, and November is one of those times! Events are held nationwide at various stores. If you are planning a wedding, this is worth checking out! See the qualifications and details about finding a gown giveaway in your area on their website: BridesAcrossAmerica
- David’s Bridal is giving a 10% discount on bridal gowns Nov 11-14.
- Sleep Number is offering $500-700 discounted prices on select beds to veterans until 11/15/2015.
- Free Meals or food discounts is a long list! Some discounts are offered for the entirety of Military Family Appreciation Month, and others are only on Veteran’s day or the week of. Check out themilitarywallet‘s thorough list. Also, many local restaurants in your area likely offer specials to veterans. Check their websites this week and next.
- Firestone is offering 10% off Complete Auto Care Nov 8-11.
- JC Penny’s is offering discounts on apparel and furniture with coupon, Nov 3-15.
- Red Roof Inn is giving veterans and their families a 15% discount for November.
- Staples is giving 10% discounts Nov 9-15.
- Tires Plus is offering 10% off the lowest price for any service.
- Vitamin Shoppe is giving 11% discount from Nov 11-17.
- Wudy Werks (a veteran-owned wood art company) is giving a $20 discount to veterans for November. It’s the perfect time to take care of those holiday gift lists!
Don’t underestimate the inspirational power of kind deeds, even (especially) small ones. Celebrate, honor, and thank both our veterans and the families that sacrifice along with them.
Tag us in your Operation Appreciation posts! We want to know! @VFWSouthernConf